Sunday, August 08, 2010

Youth Olympic Games in Singapore - YOG 2010

The first ever Youth Olympic Games (YOG) will be held right here in Singapore from 14 August 2010 to 26 August 2010. (thought some sporting events start on the 12th)


Wifey and I was lucky enough to get tickets from a friend to the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games 2010 Opening Ceremony...


yog opening ceremony tickets
Well.. Almost.... The tickets were for a rehearsal that was held yesterday...
Nonetheless, we were happy to get the tickets and looked forward to it.


Photo taking opportunities aplenty on the way to Marina floating platform with cut-outs of the mascots.


Ben the Champion with Lyo and Merly
More photo taking as we waited...







The show begins...


Not uploading more pictures of the show as 
(1) I don't think it is right to post too many pictures in case too much is given away before the actual event
(2) I didn't take too many pictures as my camera sucks at night and it will not do the event justice..


How was the rehearsal for YOG opening ceremony show?
Well, for one I think I had too high an expectation. I expected it to be like a National Day Parade preview where it is as good as the real show with goodie bags given. Not that I like the goodie bags, I always end up giving it away to young cousins or relatives but it makes the whole participation during the show more fun. They didn't give out anything yesterday.. except for a poncho! haha..
The show was also nothing to shout about.. Most of them look like mass dance   events... Too often....
With days to go, they still do not look 100% ready..
But I'm sure they will be ready by the time the actual day comes.. 
These things often work itself out with the adrenalin of the actual day..


The positives of the opening ceremony?
As usual, like my wifey puts it.. Fireworks never fail to impress... They also had lighting displays with the fireworks... 
There were more videos than those they "overplayed" on TV.. Why did they keep playing the music videos? (though one is soooooo much better than the other)... They were showing videos of interviews with Phelps, Bolt and a Russian pole vaulter whose name I can't remember (oops)... These were so much better and I don't remember seeing them on TV...
Also, for all "live" events.. oftentimes it is being there and soaking in the atmosphere that makes the whole experience fun!.. So be there if you can...


An event is much more than just the opening ceremony and I think Singapore is more than capable of pulling off a good history-making inaugural YOG!


Anybody with tickets to the actual Youth Olympics Games Opening Ceremony 2010 event to spare us?! =)


I may be thinking of catching some of the soccer games..
If you are interested.. Let me know!...


Read more about YOG 2010 at http://www.singapore2010.sg/


--Ginseng Tonic Maker-- Roar like Lyo! (that's the lion mascot's name by the way)....

0 comments:

Post a Comment